When thinking of mental health treatment, most people picture a therapist’s office, a traditional outpatient setting. Alternatively, they may imagine a rehab facility, a traditional inpatient setting. However, other treatment options bridge the gap between these two. One such option is an intensive outpatient program (IOP). An IOP combines the structure and intensive treatment found in inpatient care with the flexibility of maintaining daily routines at school and home.
Imagine Nampa provides comprehensive outpatient mental health treatment for teens ages 12-17 and their families. Adolescence is a challenging time and often when mental health disorders develop. Untreated mental health issues have short- and long-term impacts on psychological and physical well-being. Early intervention is critical to building a solid foundation for a healthy future. To learn more about our intensive outpatient program, call 208.203.8574.
Who Is a Good Fit for an Intensive Outpatient Program?
An intensive outpatient program is often a step down from a higher level of mental health treatment, including inpatient or partial hospitalization programs (PHP). In these instances, an IOP aids in the transition back into a regular daily routine. An IOP can also be a preventative measure before someone needs a higher level of care. It can also be a logical next step when traditional outpatient treatment does not provide enough support, but 24-hour supervision is unnecessary.
Teens who are a good fit for an intensive outpatient program are:
- Comfortable in a group setting
- Able to learn and apply new skills
- Motivated to participate in treatment
- Willing to verbally express themselves
- Relying on substance use to cope
- Struggling to manage daily responsibilities
- Not a threat to themselves or others
An IOP is a treatment option that provides highly structured mental health treatment several hours per day, multiple days per week. Teens are at home on nights and weekends. The support of family and the home environment can be highly beneficial to recovery, as long as it is healthy and stable. At Imagine Nampa, our IOP for teens ages 12-17 offers comprehensive, integrated mental health treatment for various mental health and co-occurring disorders.
5 Benefits of Outpatient Mental Health Treatment
At Imagine Nampa, treatment begins with a thorough assessment to evaluate your teen’s mental health needs. If outpatient mental health treatment is appropriate for your teen, we work with them to develop an individualized treatment plan to address their unique needs. Because mental health and behavioral issues do not occur in a vacuum, we provide counseling and support for your whole family.
Five of the top benefits of outpatient mental health treatment include:
- Affordability – Outpatient treatment is less expensive than inpatient treatment. The cost makes it more accessible to families who do not have insurance or cannot otherwise afford inpatient care.
- Better school performance – Outpatient treatment leads to improved concentration, reduced absenteeism, increased productivity, and better overall functioning that improves school performance.
- Peer support – Teens are more likely to open up with peers than adults. Being part of a peer group that shares similar feelings and experiences shows teens that they are not alone. It can also help build interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility – Outpatient programs remove many obstacles to treatment. Teens can maintain their school and home responsibilities while receiving treatment.
- Reduced chance for complications – Many teens with mental health issues are at risk for substance use disorders and other medical problems. This can be monitored and treated in outpatient treatment.
Because teens are at home nights and weekends, they also receive the benefit of family support, which is critical to the recovery process. Furthermore, they can practice the skills they learn in treatment. They’ll also report on how they are working so that therapists can provide feedback to help better incorporate these skills into daily life.
Learn More About Outpatient Treatment for Teens at Imagine Nampa
At Imagine Nampa, we understand that untreated trauma and mental health disorders can negatively affect your teen’s development and set them up for struggles down the road. We treat various mental health disorders, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Co-occurring disorders
If your teen’s mental health symptoms interfere with daily functioning, help is available at Imagine Nampa. Reach out to our team at 208.203.8574 to learn more about outpatient mental health treatment for teens.